Watch this quick video and learn how to make a fresh garlic and herb marinade at home for chicken, steak, fish, or even veggies!
Why do we marinate? Anytime you marinate a protein before cooking you get so much more flavor than without the marinade.
Variety of Fresh Herbs:
- Basil - prominent herb in this recipe, buy packet at grocery store, use whole package or equivalent to 4 big stalks that you would grow at home.
- Parsley - with or without the stems (the stems make it more peppery and bitter)
- Chives - gives it a little onion-y flavor
- Thyme - don't need as much thyme, it has a strong flavor and in this recipe we want to let the basil shine
5 Garlic cloves
1-2 cups Olive Oil (depending on your preferred consistency for the marinade)
- Clean and prep your herbs.
- Remove garlic cloves from bulb if using fresh garlic.
- Put herbs into a food processor or blender.
- Gradually pour 1-2 cups of olive oil as you blend until you get the desired consistency of marinade.
Great on chicken, steak, fish, or vegetables before cooking on the grill, in a pan, or in the oven.
To use on chicken:
- Add marinade to pre-cleaned chicken breast in a sealable plastic bag.
- Add ¼ cup of marinade.
- Marinate for 20-30 minutes before cooking, or longer depending on your preferred taste.
To store, put remaining marinade in fridge to keep fresh for a few weeks. When ready to use, let sit at room temperature to liquify.
Other variations to try
- Summer - add cilantro
- Winter - add rosemary
Try this out and let us know what you think in the comments!